Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Day At the Beach ~ Surfers Healing

Yesterday was Surfers Healing, in a word it was amazing.

Surfers Healing is a non-profit group, they take children with autism out and surf with them. But its so much more then that, the feeling that comes over you to be in one spot surrounded by so many other families who are dealing with the same thing you are. Its surreal, no judgement, no looks, no snide comments from people who have no clue while your child melts down in the corner. Here is more about them and what they do.

I really have to say I was nervous, I wasn't sure what to expect or how Racer would handle it. But when we got there I felt at ease, Racer was anxious to surf but handled the wait well. He got fitted for a wetsuit and a life jacket. Then waited his turn.....and to my surprise he went out there with no fuss, jumped on the board and off he went. I have to admit it was hard standing on the shore watching him go past the break and jump into the ocean and swim for a bit. Then to get back on the board and come in on a wave, by that time I was crying (thank gravy for big dark sunglasses). He caught 3 big waves before he came back in and he was all smiles, well Racer smiles lol. It was awesome and I can't wait till we do it again!!!


Every time I see this video I get the chills, this will be remembered forever!



3 comments:

  1. OMG! that is AMAZING! I made the mistake of reading this post and watching the video while waiting for class to start... umm yeah... i look like a sissy crying in class! That organization is awesome! an i applaud them for what they are doing! And GREAT JOB Racer!! Ur AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Racer got to enjoy, and that you got to be a part of such a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete